Tips on Writing and Winning
Do The Right Thing is often asked by teachers, administrators and parents what it takes to produce a Do The Right Thing Top monthly winner and why students from the same schools repeatedly win. The answer is really quite simple. Schools that have winning nominations, whether once or often, are the ones where the nominator has taken the time to provide details and specifics about the student. This is difficult, as we all know time is short, especially for our hardworking teachers. However, there are many untold stories of great kids out there, and we depend on our schools to share these stories with us.
Please use the following guidelines when writing a nomination for the Do The Right Thing Award:
• Submit using the nomination form found on our website
• The entire online nomination must be completed accurately (please double check spelling of child’s name) so that certificates will be printed correctly.
• A minimum of one paragraph (at least four sentences) is required when describing why this child should be honored.
• Give specific examples of behavior, attitude or accomplishment.
• Provide background on all aspects of the nominee including family, hobbies, scholastic achievement, community involvement, etc.
• Write succinctly. The key is quality not quantity.
The following is a list of the types of information the committee is looking for in selecting winners:
• Academic success or improvement in study habits
• Outstanding conduct or behavior
• Community service or helping neighbors
• Organizations the child belongs to and what they do
• Home conduct and help with family chores
• Participation in special events/activities
• Do they work? Where and how many hours?
• Personal problems overcome or adjusted to
• Feats of bravery or heroic acts performed
• Sports or hobbies involved in
• Turn around success stories
• Musical or artistic talents
• Physical or mental limitations overcome
• Examples of honesty and good citizenship
ALL NOMINATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE BY 5 P.M. ON THE 20TH OF EACH MONTH (SEPTEMBER THROUGH APRIL) AND BY THE EARLIER MAY DEADLINE IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THAT PARTICULAR MONTH.